9 Highlights in Montreux
- The Montreux Riviera shows Mediterranean flair on the lakeshore and is flanked by 2000 m high mountain peaks. The water castle Château de Chillon is a landmark of the Riviera.
- Rochers-de-Naye, 2042 meters above sea level, is Montreux's local mountain. A rack railroad takes visitors from Montreux via the station de Jaman to Rochers de Naye.
- The Golden Pass MOB Belle Epoque train runs on narrow-gauge tracks in the romantic retro style of the 1930s. It begins its journey at Lake Geneva and ends in the mountains near Zweisimmen. Other trains on the Golden Pass Line run as far as Lucerne.
- The "Funi" is a nostalgic funicular dating from 1910, which runs from Les Avants in Montreux up to Sonloup. In spring, the hillside meadow is a huge bed of daffodils, in winter a toboggan run.
- A 3-meter-high bronze statue of Freddy Mercury stands in the marketplace by the lake. It commemorates the famous artist who settled in Montreux. Here he wrote the music album "Made of Heaven" by the band Queen.
- The annual Montreux Jazz Festival has been held on the lakefront since 1967.
- The Lavaux region with its picturesque vineyards lies between Montreux and Lausanne. The wine terraces are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- The Casino Montreux Barrière is designed in the charm of the 70s.
- The palace Fairmont Le Montreux was built in 1906 on the shores of Lake Geneva. The "Pearl of the Vaud Riviera", it is now an elegant 5-star hotel.
East of Lausanne hides a small paradise. It includes a maritime mountain landscape with palm trees and works of art directly on the Riviera. The fresh mountain air becomes a real treat with the lake. The city is not without reason associated with great artists from times past.
Sights in Montreux
The Riviera of Montreux shows itself in all shapes and colors. From the moated castle to the bronze statue in the marketplace of Montreux, you can discover all facets. Let yourself be inspired by the diversity that this lakeside town has to offer.
From the train station in Montreux, it's only 10 minutes by train to a place of bygone times. On a rocky island directly on the shore, a moated castle with historic character presents itself to you: Chillon Castle. The castle was once owned by the Count of Savoy. From the 17th century onwards, the Bernese and then the Vaudois gained possession of the lakeside castle.
You can also reach Chillon Castle by bus or by boat. On site, you can expect a variety of special murals, buildings and courtyards. Get involved with the inspiring place during a guided tour of the castle.
You can book your ticket for Chillon Castle directly with us
The Montreux Riviera stretches from Villeneuve to Lutry. It impresses with Mediterranean flair and invites you to dream. The promenade directly on the lake shore is where all the paths of the surrounding region converge Let yourself be inspired by the impressively stuccoed house facades on a walk from Montreux to Clarens. You can also discover the lively nature along the way. There are palm trees and colorful plants everywhere
High up in the mountains you will regularly see the railroad entering the mountain tunnels. You'll feel like you're looking into a postcard miniature landscape. But it is all real
Freddie Mercury Statue
Directly on the market square, Montreux reminds its visitors of a great artist and former resident. The 3-meter bronze statue depicts singer Freddie Mercury. As the singer and producer of the band Queen, he looks towards the lake. At sunset, the view over the shoulder of the statue becomes magical.
At the end of the 1980s, Freddie Mercury settled in Clarens / Montreux. He wrote the lyrics to the album "Made in Heaven" here. Together with the band Queen, Mercury also rented his own recording studio. Today you can admire the studio and numerous finds from the life of the band in the Casino. It is about 7 minutes walk from the marketplace.
Queen - The Studio Experience
Follow in the footsteps of the world band Queen and their lead singer Freddy Mercury and visit the exhibition The Studio Experience. The exhibition is located in the Montreux Casino on the first floor. Here you can admire a piece of the band's history. Former stage outfits, instruments, records and much more are presented
What to expect:
- Handwritten original lyrics by Freddy Mercury
- Signed records and Freddy's inimitable microphone
- In the former studio you can prove yourself as a sound mixer.
- You enter the exhibition via the casino entrance.
- The entrance is free of charge. But you can share a donation to the Freddy Mercury Foundation on the spot.
Chaplin's statue and the fork of Vevey
You can experience the landscape heroine of Lake Geneva in Vevey. It is an oversized metallic fork. It was placed 10 meters in front of the Alimentarium, a museum about food, close to the lake shore and rises out of the water. Between them, on the boardwalk, is the statue of Charlie Chaplin. Like the Mercury statue, the statue faces the lake. It was created from bronze by sculptor John Doubleday
The eminent artist Charlie Chaplin also left his mark on the Montreux Riviera. in 1952 he moved with his family to Vevey to the Villa Manoir de Ban, where he lived until his death in 1977. The villa is now a museum and surrounded by a large park. In the Charlie Chaplin Museum you can learn exciting information about Chaplin's professional and private life.
Tickets can be reserved online. The ticket costs 29 CHF for adults and 19 CHF for children. The museum is open between 10:00 and 19:00. (On weekends until 17:00)
Other places of interest
Montreux is home to a number of magnificent residences and hotels built from the mid-19th century onwards. They are part of the city's list of cultural assets worthy of protection. The following sights also belong to Montreux:
- Parish Church of Saint-Vincent: The present building dates back to the 15th century, as does the adjacent ossuary.
- Castle Châtelard in Clarens: It was built in the 15th century and belongs to the cultural assets worthy of protection.
- The Montreux railroad station was opened in 1861. It stands above the lakeshore on the hillside.
- The Audiorama** is a Swiss museum for sound and image. It is located between Montreux and Chillon Castle. In the museum you will experience first hand the technical changes in the field of media.
- Freddie Mercury apartment: In the apartment house Les Tourelles he lives in the top apartment with the curved roof. He once lived there and wrote the song "A winter's tale" sitting on the balcony. If you walk east along the Quai des fleurs from Montreux, you will come to it after about 15 min.
- Port of Clarens: The small port in Clarens is not big. Nevertheless it is worth a visit. Many beautiful boats are moored and there is also a Bain de Clarens for outdoor pool fans in the summer.
Excursion destinations from Montreux
In the surroundings of Montreux you will experience nature up close. Mountains, cities and Lake Geneva are always connected around Montreux. This makes the region special. he Lavaux terraces between Montreux and Lausanne are part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Lake Geneva boat trips from Montreux
The postcard landscape around Montreux can be viewed very well from the water. To do so, board one of the charming, old-fashioned paddle steamers. They invite you to an impressive round trip across the lake. The ships were originally built in 1903 and are a popular vacation photo motif with visitors. There are various boarding points from Montreux to Vevey.
On the round trip, you'll see the High Savoy Alps and below, Chillon Castle in all its glory. The well-known Duck House can also be seen from the lake. Quite inconspicuously, the 5-room villa with its 1800 m2 garden is located on a headland in Clarens. The Duck House was once the retreat and place of inspiration for singer Freddie Mercury and the band Queen. It can be seen on the cover of the last album Heaven.
Swiss Activities Offer:
Lavaux - UNESCO World Heritage Site
If you want to drive from Montreux to Lausanne, we recommend you to take the road along the lake. The spectacle of light, sky and water is particularly beautiful to observe from here
You will also have the chance to discover the unique Lavaux area through which you will drive. Lauvaux is a vineyard area with steep slopes, formed more than 15'000 years ago. If you venture to the top vineyard terrace point in Lavaux-Oron, a dream view of the area will open up
Grangettes Nature Reserve
By car you drive 13 min on Route 9 east along the lake. Here you will reach Grangettes. This is a nature reserve with over 6000 hectares of lake and land area. The area is located below Villeneuve. Grangettes is the last protected shoreline on Lake Geneva.
The best way to discover nature here is on foot or by bike. There are many different species of animals and plants to admire and a breathtaking view of the lake.
The Rochers-de-Naye is the local mountain of Montreux. It is located above Veytaux and Villeneuve at 2042 a.s.l. To reach it, the best way is to get on the rack railroad at the train station. The ride takes about 55 min. Once at the top, you will have a breathtaking view of the mountains and Lake Geneva.
In winter you can ski up here. In the summer months from March/April we recommend hiking tours or the marmot adventure paradise. The animals come out of their hiding places in the outdoor enclosures in spring. If you have a little patience, you are sure to spot one or the other of the pelt-noses. This visit is especially suitable for families with children.
Other excursion destinations
- The GoldenPass Line: Trips on the Golden Pass Line take you to Lucerne in just under 5 hours. From Montreux, a ride on the meter-gauge train to Zweisimmen is very popular. The hiker's paradise offers several themed hiking trails. . + It is only 15 minutes by car to Vevey, where a day trip with a coffee at the Café Littéraire on the lakeside promenade is worthwhile.
- Lausanne is also worth a visit. The old town and the impressive cathedral are points of interest. By car you drive from Montreux about 30 min.
- Lutry is a town between Montreux and Lausanne. Its medieval old town is very well preserved. The Bertholo Castle at the foot of the vineyards dates back to the 13th century.
- Funi: The nostalgic funicular railroad goes up from Les Avants in Montreux to Sonloup. This wonderful hiking area is also known for its white daffodils. They stretch across the hillside meadow in spring like a huge flower bed.
Swiss Activities Tips Montreux
Montreux Riviera Card The card has a lot of advantages for you as a visitor, from which you can benefit in the whole region:
- You can use the public transport of Montreux and Vevey for free.
- You get 20 to 50% discount on admission to museums, action parks, boat trips or mountain railroads.
- The card is usually given to you at your accommodation.
Pralines from the Confiserie Zurcher
You will find something sweet to enjoy at the Confiserie Zurcher near the casino. The confectionery has been in family hands since the 19th century. Especially delicious: the breakfast and the chocolate cake.
Sunset at the Quai de fleur
The sunset is best watched from one of the many benches on the Quai de fleur. On the small banks, the water of the lake is quite calm. Thus, the sunlight is reflected in it particularly beautiful.
Beach feeling in Clarens
A small sandy beach invites you to linger by the water in the summer months. Around it are meadows and trees. The beach is, even if it is well visited, relatively quiet and secluded.
Activities and Experiences in Montreux
Montreux has something to offer for action lovers as well as for those who like it a bit quieter. With or without children, as a single or a family: there is a suitable activity for everyone in Montreux and its surroundings.
- Hiking between Vevey and Montreux
- Escape Games in Montreux
- Wine tasting at Château de Crêtes
- Aquapark experience Le Bouveret
Hiking around Montreux
Between Montreux and Vevey, not only short walks are worthwhile, but real hikes up to the mountain plateau. As a hiker you will be rewarded with a breathtaking view of the mountain landscape and the lake. In good weather you should take the opportunity to watch the sunrises.
These two following hiking destinations are especially nice to get to know the region:
- Terrasse de Lavaux: Hiking in the historic wine region between Montreux and Vevey to Lutry. It goes across the vineyards past the village of St-Saphorin. You will be surprised how many wine cellars you will discover along the way. Take the opportunity to enjoy a glass of typical wine and some snacks.
- Claude Nicollier Weltallweg: Climb the mountain Les Pléiades, located just behind Montreux. In spring, starting in May, you can admire the beautiful fields of daffodils up there. The so called Weltallweg is a parcours. Here you can learn more about the solar system and the universe. A rack railroad goes back.
Escape Games in Montreux City
To the Escape Room a new activity has been established in Montreux: The Outdoor Escape Game! Here you can go on a scavenger hunt through Montreux together in a team. In both games you have to solve a puzzle together as a team. The action in this up to 4-hour game is guaranteed.
For example, you can choose between the following Escape Games in Montreux:
- Outdoor Escape Game Embark on a scavenger hunt through the city. A smartphone web app will show you the way.... Escape Room Game Directly in the city center you will also find an Escape Room, which offers the action-packed adventure within four walls.
Wine tasting at Château de Crêtes
If you want to get to know the Montreux Riviera in terms of taste, then visit an exclusive wine tasting at Château de Crêtes. Located above Clarens, La Cave Vevey-Montreux is a winegrowers' cooperative. The winery has been around since 1864, and this activity is suitable for wine connoisseurs and beginners alike.
What to expect:
- Taste wines from different grape varieties such as Pinot Noir, Chassela, Gamay and Carbenet Franc.
- The wine tasting takes place exclusively in the historic wine cellar.
- Group bookings on request through the website.
The Lavaux area is also popular for wine tastings. Guided tours combine a ride in a panoramic bus through the vineyards with wine tasting and food.
Aquaparc Experience Le Bouveret
The water park is located in Le Bouveret. It is about a half hour drive south from Montreux. The aquapark is an experience for the whole family. Palm trees, water slides and swimming fun can be found on an area of 27,000 square meters.
What awaits you:
- Large-scale children's and family world with paddling and wave pools and tire slides.
- In the slide world you can try a 103 m long looping slide.
- In the wellness area, several saunas, whirlpools and steam baths await you to relax.
- From March, the water park is open from Wednesday to Sunday between 10:30 and 19:00.
You can shop for souvenirs and regional specialties around the Montreux marketplace. We also recommend the various markets around the Montreux Riviera:
- Market in Blonay: small market with regional delicacies, always on Fridays from 7:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m
- Market of Tour de Peilz, always Thursday from 7:30 to 13:00 and Saturday until 13:30
- Vevey market, always Tuesday and Saturday, 6:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m
- Biking A beautiful route from Montreux to Geneva is the Rhone route. Along the Rhone you cycle past Lake Geneva and the UNESCO heritage site of Lavaux. The route is 308 km in total and takes about 4 to 5 days. Small sections are limited to the Montreux Riviera or the vineyards of Lavaux.
- Inlining around the lake There are designated trails from Montreux Casino from which you can start.
- Paragliding Villeneuve: Seeing Montreux from above is always worth a flight. In Villeneuve there are several flying schools. There you can glide together with a pilot from the mountain down to the lake.
- Water sports:** Lake Geneva is perfect for practicing various water sports such as stand up paddle, kayaking or boating. There are several providers on Lake Geneva that rent boats and kayaks. For guided kayak tours from Montreux, the starting point is in Port-Valais. You can reach it from Montreux by train via St-Maurice in about an hour.
Events in Montreux
The Montreux Riviera is known for its artistic and charming character. With sunshine and pleasant Mediterranean temperatures, numerous musical and artistic events take place during the summer.
Winter in Montreux also has a lot to offer, especially at Christmas time. In December, you can even see Santa Claus crossing the lake in his sleigh on the promenade
Montreux Jazz Festival
The Montreux Jazz Festival is probably the most famous jazz music event in Europe. Numerous music greats such as Aretha Franklin, Charles Lloyd, Prince and many more have been performing since 1967. The two-week festival takes place every year in July. Everywhere on the Riviera there are stages where the artists present their music. Admission is free of charge. For selected concerts you can book tickets in advance.
Montreux Noel: The Christmas market takes place every year from November 24 to December 24 on the lakefront. 170 exhibitors and merchants present lovely goods in small wooden stalls. Starting at 16:00, Santa Claus shows up once an hour on his sleigh. For families and all who have a desire for Christmas and contemplation.
Permanent Cultural Exhibition of Vaud: The exhibition displays 300 works from the 18th century from the cultural heritage of Vaud. The exhibition will be held in Lausanne at the Musée cantonal de Beaux-Arts throughout the year until December 2022
Montreux Biennale: An exceptional event takes place every 2 years on the waterfront in Montreux. Artists from Switzerland jointly design sculptures which they then exhibit on the promenade.
Arrival to Montreux
Montreux belongs to the canton of Vaud and is located in the northeastern part of Lake Geneva. Locals speak of the "Pearl of Lavaux". The city is very well connected and can therefore be reached very well via car and also public transport.
From Basel to Montreux you drive about two and a half hours by car. That is about 186 km. Take the A2 freeway to Bern and then the A12 freeway. At Pont-en-Ogoz take the E27, which leads you in the direction of Vevey. At Saint-Légier-La Chiésaz you come to the exit for Montreux. From there you can already see Lake Geneva down in the valley.
by public transport
You can reach Montreux very well by train, because the city has its own train station. Montreux is connected with the lines to and from Basel, Geneva, Bern and Zurich via IC and IR train connections. The Golden Pass Line connects Montreux and Lucerne via Interlaken, Spiez, Zweisimmen and Gstaad.
The S-Bahn is connected with RE trains via Vevey:
- S1: Yverdon-Les Bains - Vevey - Lausanne
- S3: Allaman - Vevey - Villeneuve
Hotels in Montreux
Accommodation in Montreux is both sophisticated and affordable. There is a suitable accommodation for every budget and price range. Whether luxury hotel or simple youth hostel: you are free to decide where you prefer to go.
Fairmont Montreux Palace
This luxurious hotel is located close to the city and has 236 luxury rooms and suites. Every room has a lake view. The Belle Epoch facade presents an impressive appearance. The hotel has several restaurants, a fitness and spa area with large indoor and outdoor swimming pools.
Suitable for: Travelers on a budget
The Eurohotel is located directly on the lakeshore and, with its four stars, belongs to the mid- to upper-range hotel class. The hotel is stylishly furnished. You can choose between classic rooms and various suites with panoramic views. The hotel has a beautiful sun terrace directly on the lakeshore.
Suitable for: Travelers with a medium budget
Montreux Youth Hostel
You will find a simple but comfortable youth hostel at the beginning of Quai-Ami Chessex. It's a 4-minute walk from the Montreux-Territet train station along the lakeside promenade. There are modern double and multi-bed rooms. Breakfast is included in the rate. Lunch and dinner can be booked on request.
suitable for: Travelers with small budget_
Restaurants in Montreux Riviera
Gourmet fans will not be disappointed in Montreux Riviera. The region is known for good and varied cuisine with many of its restaurants. From small snacks to noble luxury restaurants, which even have a Michelin star, every taste is catered for.
Les Ateliers Vevey
Les Ateliers has a Michelin star and is a restaurant of the upper luxury class. A visit there is like an adventure: the delicious delicacies are served in the historic, industrial walls of a former stainless steel workshop. Jean-Sébastien Ribette has defined two special menu variations that have proven their worth for 16 years
Suitable for: High budget
Le Mai Thai Clarens
Excellent Thai cuisine with a wonderful sun terrace and view of the lake: that's what you get at Le Mai Thai on a small hill in Clarens. A variety of fish and meat dishes are available here at moderate prices.
Suitable for: Medium budget
Café de la Poste Cully
This traditional restaurant is located in Cully and has a large sun terrace with beer garden. For small and large appetites, the café always has just the right thing on its weekly menu. The local sausage specialties are particularly appreciated here.
Suitable for: Small to medium budget
The Montreux Riviera is always the right choice as a destination from spring to winter. If you want to get to know the region and its many small towns and countryside spots as far as Vevey and beyond, we recommend a trip of 3-4 days.
Photo rights large photo
- Maude Rion Montreux Tourisme